2016 may not go down in history as the year where Cupid’s arrows struck many young lovers…on the contrary, this year has seen a staggering amount of break-ups within the realm of Hollywood. Leaving behind our broken hearts, we pitied and suffered with each celebrity couple we had to bid-adieu to.
Simply put, celebrity couples that have shattered our image of ideal love have been:
- Kate Beckinsale and Len Wiseman officially filed for divorce.
- Jennifer Meyer and Tobey Maguire officially filed for divorce as well.
- Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt – Need I say more?
- Lady Gaga and Taylor Kinney – Needless to say, when Mother Monster and Chicago Fire beau Taylor Kinney split up, pop culture lost one of the most organic and genuine relationships we’ve seen.
- Diane Kruger and Joshua Jackson – Diane announced that after 8 years of relationship she won’t marry Joshua.
- Taylor Swift and Calvin Harris – Pop music lost a killer combo when Swift and Harris made their separate ways.
- Johnny Depp and Amber Heard – It was the shock of 2016, when Amber Heard filed for divorce in mid-August. Johnny Depp and the young actress seemed to have it all…guess we thought wrong.
- Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne – Some couples are timeless; a part of our culture; leaving behind an indelible mark. Ozzy and Sharon Osbourne, through all their ups and their downs, seemed to have discovered the secret to a successful relationship. Yet, not even the countless drug battles and temporary splits could mend the couples’ deep-seeded issues.
- Drew Barrymore and Will Kopelman – Labeled as her “biggest failure,” original Scream queen Drew Barrymore and Will Kopelman called it quits after a four year engagement.
- Demi Lovato and Wilmer Valderrama – After nearly 6 years of dating, no other details concerning their split have been revealed.
To explain why we all felt so involved with each couple may seem a mystery to some. However, when iconic starlets such as Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, who embodied the fairy-tale romance, decided to call it quits, the generation who grew up with them couldn’t help but empathize.
A break-up is no easy task for anyone involved. As human beings, we have all been in a similar situation, and having been there, we know all the wounds we still have to mend. However, these front-page break-ups could very well trigger our past escapades, leading us to find solace in knowing that after all, we are not as alone as we thought…