The Closing Ceremony for the 2016 Olympics in Rio was on Sunday and if you didn’t get a chance to catch it, then you are missed quite an event! The Opening Ceremony was nothing short of breath-taking with all of the light shows , music and athletes representing their country. Which created an energy that made you want to watch every single second and that was only the beginning! There was winning, losing, crying, bicycle crashes, falls, disqualifications, fabricated gun stories and more. Which is all perfect for the making for a good soap opera. The roller coaster of emotions was oddly entertaining and worth the ride!
But through it all, like a true fashionista, it was absolutely impossible not to be curious about fashion surrounding this huge event. From weird rules to the real value of a gold medal…check out these 12 fun, fashion facts about the 2016 Rio Olympics.
- The amazing dress worn by model, Giselle, during the Opening Ceremony was created by Brazilian designer Alexandre Herchcovitch.
- Each gymnastic competitors leotard had around 5,000 crystals and would cost about $1,200 in stores.
- Venus Williams may not have taken home the gold but she definitely repped her country by rocking the color red in her braids.
- Speedo created the swimwear for both the female and male swimmers. a more modern style of swimsuits for both the female and male swim team. Their intention was to create a modern style that showed off the swimmers’ muscle definition. (Source: Bustle.com)
- A U.S. based company, Boathouse Sports, created uniforms for the USA Rowing Team. The garments are said to be made of “high-wicking micro-denier yarn for greater softness and comfort in wear without sacrificing support or durability.” (Source:USAToday)
- Serena Williams stunted on everyone during her Rio match in a beautiful, blue tennis dress that was designed by Nike.
- Classic designer, Ralph Lauren, designed the uniforms for Team USA to wear during the Closing Ceremony parade. (Source: USMagazine)
- Claressa Shields, female boxing gold medal Olympic winner, prefers to wear the color of red. It’s her victory color. There must be some truth to that because she took home the gold! (Source: Bloomberg)
- The accessories have left the building! Earrings are the only accessory competitors can wear. (Source: People)
- The gold medals given to 1st place winners are not 100% gold. They are made up of different metals, weigh a bit over a pound, and are valued at about $600. (Source:ChicagoTribute)
- Women are going bold around the track this year. Many participants on the female track team are wearing bold lipstick colors as a way to inspire women to know that we can do it all! (Source: USAToday)
- No crazy nails when competing. The coach gives the final approval on the nail polish color that the competitor can wear. (Source: People)
The USA dominated the Olympics this year by winning 38 Bronze medals, 37 silver medals, and 46 gold medals for a total of 121 medals! Congratulations to all of the athletes who competed. Who would’ve thought there would be this much slaying at such an event? Slay on! ?
What’s your favorite event at the Olympics?